Meaning of Media Planning:
Media planning is the process of designing a course of action that shows how advertising time and space will be utilized to contribution to the achievement of marketing and advertising objectives.
Process of Media planning:
Media planning is a time consuming &lengthy process which involves the following steps:
- Deciding about target market for advertising
- Decision about advertising message
- Matching media with target group
- Selection of the media
- Selection of specific media vehicles
- Selection of media schedule
- Allocating funds to each media 7 vehicle
- Deciding about target market for advertising:
Every media plan start with target audience. For this the data regarding certain areas like i) age group ii) sex ratio iii) language used iv) cultural & social background & v) religious beliefs needed to be collected.
- Decision about Advertising message:
This is the second step & in this step the consumer profile & media preference of target consumer group need careful consideration.
- Matching media with target group:
In the third step in the process is to match the target group (s) profiles with the most suitable media.
- Selection of the Media:
The factors should be considered while selecting the advertising media:
- Media habits of target groups
- Nature & feature of a product
- Cost of the media
- Miscellaneous factors
- Legal & ethical consideration
- Media life &” flexibility
- Media vehicles used by competitors
- Objectives of the advertising campaign
- Selection of specific media vehicles:
Once the media for advertising is selected, the media planner is then required to select specific vehicles (s) within a media. Example: if we select the print media, the vehicle carrying advertising message may be “The Times of India” or “Mid-day” or “The Indian Express.”
- Selection of Media schedule:
Media schedule means the timetable of media insertions.
- Allocating funds to each media & vehicle:
The allocating is made out of the total advertising budget.