MAIN ISSUES IN DECIDING THE MEDIA BUDGETS
As 85% of the client’s money go into media planning, the ad-agency must see that the client’s money is spent in the most useful and effective manner. The advertising agency takes the following issues into consideration when arriving at the media budget. Many a times even the client (company) fixes the media budget and accordingly the agent and the client sit together and finalize the deal. The marketing mix or 4p’s can effect the media decisions very strongly.
1. Interaction of the media with the product: – the very nature of the product may suggest one media over the other.. A product like a perfume needs a distinct image and would advertise in a women’s magazine.
Eg:- mercedes benz India ltd (MBIL) used only print medium ( magazines and newspapers) to highlight its safety features in their models like c-class, s- class, and e-class (RK swamy bbdo is their ad-agency.
2. Interaction of media with the price: – price is also a key factor to be considered in choosing the topic of media. A “premium priced” product will require the use of prestigious or class media to support its market image.
Eg: – Shaw Wallace launched “antiquity rare premium whisky” to create a new segment in Indian whisky market—-that of a super premium whisky. It was targeted to the upscale premium whisky consumers. It used “below the line” media and banked on direct marketing campaign. It distribute miniature bottle samples and also sponsored the amateur golf tournament in india.
3. Interaction of media with the place decision: – the product is the channel of distribution also important in media planning. If the product is available in the local areas, localized media should be used.
Eg: – O & M designed ads for the orange mobile only for the Mumbai market.
Hence, they compared airtime along with vada pav and cutting chai, which are famous in Mumbai in their outdoor media.
4. Interaction of media with promotion mix: – the effort devoted to advertising, personally selling and sales promotion techniques can also affect the media plan. The use of sales promotion device like coupon may use the of newspaper as the medium to distribute the coupons.
Eg: – holiday companies like Thomas cook, Cox & kings prefer print ads in
newspaper like to to generate leads by giving sales promotion schemes.
Thus, media decisions have to be taken carefully by even taking into preview in which stage of PLC the brand is.
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019