Principles of Management Paper I is a Sem 1 subject of FYBMS at St. Xavier’s College. The subject will be covered in 60 lectures and will consist of 4 main units. The subject aims to provide fundamental knowledge and exposure to the concepts, theories and practices in the field of management.
The Unit 1 will be covered in 20 lectures. The topics covered in the first unit are:
- Management- concept, process and significance,
- An overview of functional areas of management,
- Managerial roles (Mintzberg),
- Evolution of Management Theory – Work of Fredrick W. Taylor,
- Fayol’s contribution,
- Behavioural Science approach,
- Contingency approach.
The unit 2 will be covered in 15 lectures. The topics covered in the second unit are:
- Management Functions – Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Directing and Controlling,
- Planning : Meaning, importance, elements, process, limitations,
- Decision making – concept, importance and steps in decision making,
- Preparation of Business Plan.
The Unit 3 will be covered in 15 lectures and the topics covered in the 3rd unit are:
- Organizing – Concept, nature and significance,
- Authority and responsibility relationships,
- Centralization and decentralization,
- Organization structure – forms,
- Staffing – importance, sources of recruitment, selection process.
The Unit 4 will be covered in 10 lectures. The topics covered in the 4th unit are :
- Directing – meaning and steps of direction: motivation – concept, theories – Maslow, Herzberg, McGregor,
- Leadership – concept, styles and traits,
- Control – concept, process: Effective control system, control techniques,
- Coordination – concept, definition and importance.
Continuous Internal Assessment:
- Mid semester test – Case Study
- Organizing local visit to industry – Report
The reference books of Principles of Management Paper I subject are as follows:
1) Essentials of Management – Koontz H & W McGraw Hill, New York
2) Principles of management – Ramaswamy Himalaya, Mumbai
3) Management Concept and Practice – Hannagain T. McMillan, Delhi
4) Basic Managerial Skills for All – McGrath, E.H. Prentice Hall of India
5) Management – Text And Cases By VSP Rao Excel Books, Delhi
6) Essentials of Management – Massie Joseph, Prentice Hall of India
7) Management: Principles and Guideline – Thomas N. Duening & John Ivancevich Biztantra
8) Management Concepts and OB – P.S. Rao and N.V. Shah, Ajab Pustakalaya
9) Management Concepts and Strategies – J.S. Chandran Vikas Publishing House
10) Principles of Management – Tripathi P.C., Tata McGraw Hill