FUNCTIONS OF AN ADVERTISING AGENCY
Big agencies like JWT, O&M, and LOWE are called full service advertising agencies because they are ONE STOP SHOP for all services that are offered to the clients. Today’s agencies are providing total communications packages for the client brands. They are acting as the custodians of the brands of the clients.
1. CLIENT SERVICING: Also called as “Accounts executives”. He is link between the agency and clients. He suggests what the client exactly wants to his advertising agency. He is the one who carries the client brief and is also responsible for approvals.
2. THE CREATIVE DEPARTMENT: Under the Creative Director there are a team of Copywriters and Visualisers who arrive at the “BIG IDEA”. Accordingly the storyboard is prepared and script work is done. The final layout is sent to the client for approval.
3. THE PRODUCTION DEPARTMENT: The production department is responsible to convert the storyboard in to a finished layout (technical storyboard if it’s for print medium or outdoor. However, the television commercial will be outsourced to a production house (like Prasoon Pandey’s CORCOISE FILMS). The final storyboard is made into a technical storyboard, before it goes for shooting.
4. THE MEDIA DEPT.: The Media Planner along with the Media manager and brand manager/media dept of the client prepares the final media budget and purchases Insertions for print media (space buying) or purchases radio spots if it’s for Radio or purchases TV time if it’s on television. Appropriate media mix is developed.
5. RESEARCH DEPT.: In fact Research dept functions before and after a commercial is made; for pre-testing and post-testing of media respectively consumer insights and brand usages are also tested at times according to client in many situations
6. THE FINANCE DEPT (ACCOUNTING): This dept looks after the accounts (financial records) for the agency.
7. STRATEGIC PLANNING: Strategic planning is a heart of an advertising agency. It will be headed by VP Strategic Planning and assisted by strategic planners. These days the clients require a well prepared advertising strategy before the design of the advertisement and hence strategic planning has grown past 4 years. Usually MBA’s from reputed management institutes are recruited in these dept. big agencies have a strong Strategic Planning dept whereas in small and medium agencies, it is handled by the creative dept itself.