Operations Research Prelims Question Paper 1 – Vipin Saboo Tutorials


0

Prelim- Operations Research- Paper A

Advertisement

Solve both sections. Solve any 3 questions from section 2

Section 1

Q1. Explain the following concepts (3X5=15)

  • Closed loop in transportation
  • Decision tree
  • Resource constrains in LPP
  • Updating in networking
  • Degeneracy in simplex

Q2. The following information is available for a network. Indirect cost id Rs 300 per day. Time give is in days (15 marks)

Job

1—2

1–3

2—3

2–4

2–5

3–6

4–5

5–6

Normal time

9

15

7

7

12

12

6

9

Normal cost

1300

1000

1000

1200

1700

600

1000

900

Crash time

4

13

4

3

6

11

2

6

Crash cost

2400

1380

1540

1920

2240

700

1600

1200

Draw the network diagram and find the critical path and corresponding cost. What would be the impact on the cost if the deadline of 27days is imposed?

Section 2 (solve any 3. 10 marks each)

Q3. A company manufactures two products A and B. Profit per unit of A and B are Rs 3, 5 respectively. Each unit of A and B requires 3 and 2 units of labour hours. The company has a maximum of 18 labour hours available. Also the maximum demand for A and B is limited to 4 and 6 units respectively.  Formulate the above as LPP and solve by simplex.

Q4. The following cost, demand and supply information is available. Optimise the transport cost. No units can be transferred from P2 to M1. Would a 50% discount on route P3-M3 have an impact on the solution

Plant/Market     M1         M2         M3         Supply

P1                           6              9              8              120

P2                           –              4              2              80

P3                           11           5              4              80

Demand               150         70           60

 

Q5. Consider the problem of assigning 4 clerks to 4 tasks. Time in hours taken by each is given below.

 

Tasks

Clerks A B C D
I

4

7

5

6

II

3

8

7

4

III

3

5

5

3

IV

6

6

4

2

Clerk II cannot be assigned A and Clerk III cannot be assigned B. Find the optimum allocation.

How do you find out that an alternate solution exists in the assignment sum.

Q6.A. For the following data compute EMV, EPPI, EVPI and EOL (4 marks)

Probability

S1

S2

S3

S4

S5

0.1

20

12

4

-4

-12

0.2

20

22

14

6

-2

0.4

20

22

24

16

8

0.2

20

22

24

26

18

0.1

20

22

24

26

28

B. A company is planning to buy a machine at Rs 50,000. It is anticipated that if the machine is purchased the demand can go up and hence the revenues gained would be Rs 75,000. If the demand is not good there is a loss of Rs 20,000. The company feels that there are 70% chances that demand being good and 30% chances of a bad demand. Construct a decision tree and help the company decide whether the machine should be purchased or no. (6 marks)

 

Prof Vipin Saboo can be contacted on 9820779873 for any further clarifications.

Advertisement
The following two tabs change content below.
Education Qualification: BMS- N M College (University Rank Holder) PGDBM- Sydenham College M Com- College topper Mr Vipin Saboo has been associated with the following institutes as a visiting faculty Lords college, Malad Patkar College, Goregoan Saraf college, Malad Dalmia college, Malad St Andrews College, Bandra Wilson College, Grant Road Thakur college, Kandivili L N College, Kandivili N K College, Malad Dhanukar College, Vile Parle St Xaviers College, Marine Lines Shroff College, Kandivili KES College, Khar Mr.Vipin Saboo also has more than 5 years of industry expertise with corporate like CRISIL, Motilal Oswal Investment Banking and Yes Bank. Mr. Saboo has also published a text book on Logistics and Supply Chain Management for TYBMS Students.

Like it? Share with your friends!

0
vipin0785

Education Qualification: BMS- N M College (University Rank Holder) PGDBM- Sydenham College M Com- College topper Mr Vipin Saboo has been associated with the following institutes as a visiting faculty Lords college, Malad Patkar College, Goregoan Saraf college, Malad Dalmia college, Malad St Andrews College, Bandra Wilson College, Grant Road Thakur college, Kandivili L N College, Kandivili N K College, Malad Dhanukar College, Vile Parle St Xaviers College, Marine Lines Shroff College, Kandivili KES College, Khar Mr.Vipin Saboo also has more than 5 years of industry expertise with corporate like CRISIL, Motilal Oswal Investment Banking and Yes Bank. Mr. Saboo has also published a text book on Logistics and Supply Chain Management for TYBMS Students.

2 Comments

Ask Us On WhatsApp
Choose A Format
Personality quiz
Series of questions that intends to reveal something about the personality
Trivia quiz
Series of questions with right and wrong answers that intends to check knowledge
Poll
Voting to make decisions or determine opinions
Story
Formatted Text with Embeds and Visuals
List
The Classic Internet Listicles
Countdown
The Classic Internet Countdowns
Open List
Submit your own item and vote up for the best submission
Ranked List
Upvote or downvote to decide the best list item
Meme
Upload your own images to make custom memes
Video
Youtube, Vimeo or Vine Embeds
Audio
Soundcloud or Mixcloud Embeds
Image
Photo or GIF
Gif
GIF format