Category: Personal care product
Reasons facilitating increased purchase
• Emergence of the metrosexual man.
• The concept of ‘Tall fair and handsome’-Influence of Bollywood.
• Both sexes becoming more conscious about the way they look.
• India- associates fairness with beauty.
• Influence from the West.
|HLL||Fair & Lovely|
|Emami||Fair & Handsome|
• 1975- HLL launched its first fairness cream- F & L.
• 1998- CavinKare launched Fairever.
• 1999- Godrej launched FairGlow.
• HLL “ F&L” opted for Combative Initiative.
• Godrej “FairGlow” fairness soap was launched- explored the unexplored.
• CavinKare’s “Fairever” gained popularity in retail markets.
• Godrej- Brand extension ( soap to cream)
– Launched “Nikhar”soap (line extension)
• HLL introduced “LUX” skincare soap (sunscreen).
• Cavinkare reduced its price to maintain price parity.
• F&L ads projected fairness comparable to the moon’s silvery glow.
• FairGlow offered the added benefit of a blemish-free complexion.
• Fairever did not initiate any promotional activities.
• Fierce competition from Emami, Paras, Amway, Avon etc.
• Resultant effect- increased advertising.
• HLL launched “Nutririch Fair & Lovely” and “Pears natural fairness cream”.
• Fakes of F&L and Fairever were sold in the market.
• Emami launched fairness talc.
Two consequences of rapid expansion:
• Cut throat competition
• Flurry of copy cats
Every company had to:
• Rethink its marketing strategy
• Spend lavishly on ads
• Seek legal actions against unfair claims.
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019