Dealing With Difficult People In Tourism Industry
Here are some suggestions to help your staff cope with the angry guest.
1 Do not fight to win every battle. Often it is easier to simply say, “Yes Sir/Mam you are right. Very few angry visitors are willing to listen to your side of the story.
2.Take the angry person out of a public area. Whenever an angry person decides to do battle in front of other “guests” you lose. Invite the person into a private room, offer him/her a drink and then listen.
3. Make sure that you know that the angry person knows that you will deal with the issue at that moment. Your credibility with an angry tourist is very low; telling him/her that you will get to the problem will only make the visitor even angrier. Start the repair process at that moment. Let the visitor see that you are doing something.
4. Use the person’s right name and title. If the angry visitor introduces him/herself as “Dr. Smith” don’t say Mr. or Ms. Smith and don’t use a first name unless given permission. The misuse of names or titles only adds fuel to an already explosive situation.
5. Make sure that the person addressing the problem is competent to solve it. If a member of your staff cannot solve a problem, then turning to someone who can help, is doing something. Never just shrug one’s shoulders and say “sorry!”
6. Rather than getting angry, try to think of something comical. For example, imagine what this person would look like angry in his/her underwear, and then laugh to yourself.
1 Don’t be defensive. Try to understand that people on vacation are often a bit irrational. Instead of reacting in a negative way, coolly ask how you can make their situation better
2 In a like manner, never argue, but rather apologize. Once the apology is made the upset/difficult person is more willing to listen. Win by losing!
3 In a like manner, never argue, but rather apologize. Once the apology is made the upset/difficult person is more willing to listen. Win by losing!
- Dress in a professional manner. It is amazing how much more respect a well dressed functionary receives. It is a lot easier to deal with a difficult person when dressed in a suit rather than in jeans.
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019