OBJECTIVE OF BIS :
The main aim and objective of BIS is to excel in service to central banks and financial
authority. The BIS also aims in promoting monetary and financial stability for international
financial operations. It also acts as an opportunity for discussion and cooperation among
central banks and the financial community. It also acts as a bank to central banks and
international organizations. BIS staff lay emphasis on excellence in performance, highest
principled standards and professional judgment.
FEATURES OF BIS :
Features of BIS are as follows :
(1) BIS is a medium to promote discussion and policy analysis among central banks and
within the international financial community
(2) The Bank for International Settlements (BIS) provides central banks with a wide
range of financial services, including reserve management and fiduciary services.
(3) The BIS promotes cooperation among central banks and provides facilities for
international financial operations.
(4) The BIS facilitates the implementation of international financial agreements and
conducts monetary, economic, and financial research and market analysis.
(5) It is a prime counterparty for central banks in their financial transactions
(6) It helps to coordinate the activities of national banking regulatory or functions and
supervisory each bodies.
(7) It is the world’s oldest international financial organization established on 17th May
(8) It was created to administer the transaction of taxes according to the Treaty of
Versailles a peace treaty.
(9) In June 1999, the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision issued a proposal for a
new capital adequacy regulatory framework designed to differentiate degrees of risk
more accurately and to improve the risk management practices of banks.