Business Communication is a subject in Semester 1 of FYBMS at St. Xavier’s College. Business Communication is introduced in FYBMS to develop the skills of the BMS students for proper self expression, social communication, spoken English, correct pronunciation, voice modulation and business etiquettes.
There are 4 main units in Business Communication subject:
Unit 1 – Fundamentals of Communication – 10 lectures
Unit 2 – Effective Communication – 15 lectures
Unit 3 – Written Communication Skills – 20 lectures
Unit 4 – Oral Communication Skills – 15 lectures
The topics covered in Unit 1 – Fundamentals of Communication are:
- Process and importance
The topics covered in Unit 2 – Effective Communication are:
- Concept & Practice of Effective Communication,
- Barriers to Effective Communication,
- Methods to improve Communication Skills.
The topics covered in Unit 3 – Written Communication Skills are:
- Report Writing,
- Letter Writing,
- Preparation of Promotional Material
- *with reference to banks, insurance companies and joint stock companies.
The topics covered in Unit 4 – Oral Communication Skills are:
- Understanding Audience,
- Use of Language,
- Use of Tone,
- Understanding Body Language.
Continuous Internal Assessment:
- Mid Semester Test
- Project Work
The lists of reference books of Business Communication are:
- Effective Communication – Rai Urmila, Himalaya, Mumbai
- Business Communication – Kaul, Prentice Hall, India
- Basic Business Communication – Lesikar, TMH
- Business Communication & Personality Development, Das Excel Books, Delhi
- How to listen better? – Pramila Ahuja & G. Ahuja, Sterling Publication
- Contemporary Business Communication, Scot Biztantra
- Business Communication for Managers – An advanced approach, Penrose Thomson learning
- Business Correspondence – Whithead G. & H.A.H. Wheeler, Allahabad.