9 Things You Didn’t Know About Nek Chand
- Nek Chand, Creator of Chandigarh’s Rock Garden died at the age of 90 in Chandigarh hospital on 12th June 2015.
- Nek Chand is known for building the Rock Garden, an 18-acre sculpture garden in Chandigarh, India.
- Nek Chand was born on 15th December 1924 in a small village in Punjab of Barian Kalan which is now in Pakistan.
- Nek Chand was awarded Padma Shri by Government of India for his notable work of building The Rock Garden of Chandigarh.
- The Nek Chand Foundation was formed in 1997 for supporting Nek Chand’s work and creating awareness about the Rock Garden throughout the world.
- Nek Chand had started working on the Rock Garden in the early 1960s. He cleared a forest patch near Sukhna lake and sculpted some figures using discarded material.
- It took more than a decade to spread over several acres and his work comprised of hundreds of sculptures.
- The Government had demanded demolition when they discovered his work as it violated the laws and no permission was taken by Nek Chand for undertaking the task.
- However, with the support of the city residents, the Rock Garden was officially inaugurated on 24th January 1976.
Nek Chand and The Rock Garden Photos: