An Interview with Sangeeta Devni, CEO & Founder, StartupFreak.com
By Karan Mange, Correspondent, BMS.co.in
- Tell us something about yourself?
Bachelors in Engineering from Sri Jayachamrajendra College of Engineering (SJCE) Mysore, Joined Wipro Technologies in 2006 as VLSI Engineer and worked for 2.5 years and started my own business as a part timer and later took it as a full time career.
- Tell us something about your business?
A startup to help startups
There are businesses, mostly Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) with minimal online presence or totally offline and there is a dire need to bring them online for their growth.
Startup Freak not only connects entrepreneurs in India to the online world but also gives them all the resources required for their success in one single place.
Website makes most of the complex process simple and easy to understand which the entrepreneurs can use as guide to get the work done by them (Do-it-Yourself Versions). For example, How to register a company, how to market their startup on social media, SEO tips, offline marketing tips, Cloud for startups, and these are written after the consultation and hearing the problems faced by real entrepreneurs. Startups can also get investors/Media Attention by getting registered on the online directory of startups on the website. Many HNIs (high-net-worth individual) are interested in investing in Indian startups, but they don’t have a channel to reach them. This startup directory will help them.
In Case you have any doubts or looking for support from the same community then you can rely on startupfreak. To know more log on to www.startupfreak.com
- What is your philosophy towards work?
A Selfish Person can never do Business.
- Whom do you admire as your role model?
All the great people who are giving their best, irrespective of who they are and where they stand in the society!
- “Management is core to every individual, organization & society.” Give your views on it.
I realized that every moment I spend on this planet is precious and must not be wasted. Life meaning is not the destination, but the quest itself. It’s the journey of life to discover the best we can who and what we are and what we’ll become. So Management can mean a lot of things let it be money, time, attitude and failures. You come out as a winner when you are good at managing all these things first at personal and then at organizational level.
- Name 3 qualities of prime importance that an entrepreneur should possess.
- Handle Fear – They say the biggest fear after Death is the Fear of Failure, but when you make up your mind to fail…. life suddenly becomes awesome, the only thing you notice out of all the daily clutter is the optimism of life, you get a whole new perspective of the things – your mind thinks out of the box. In fact make it a habit of failing at something at least once in day, which mean you are trying something new every day.
- Learn to sell – If you think you are not good at selling just look around, you are selling something or the other every day. Let it be convincing your parents about the trip that you want to go or giving a job interview, you are selling. Steve Jobs was not a Geek, he was an excellent salesman.
- Learn and unlearn fast – World is changing very fast and so should you. Because the responsibility of innovating and making the world a better place is on entrepreneurs.
- According to you, what are the challenges for Entrepreneurship today?
India is growing; the pace with which new startups are becoming successful is astounding. This success is forcing investors to take notice and the whole sector is getting much more organized. Today, you can easily find advisors, mentors, investors, and partners to take your venture forward. These ingredients are critical to entrepreneurship. Challenges lies only with your ‘will power’ to succeed.
- Can Entrepreneurship be taught in B-Schools/Management Institutes/Colleges?
Just like you have to jump into water to learn swimming, so is entrepreneurship. Don’t depend on books or mentors, they can only guide you, it is you who will ultimately master the art of starting up and running the show.
- Do you think today’s economy is conducive for a new venture to start upon?
Yes of course. You can see the signs everywhere. In the coming world currency crisis, it is wise to have your own boat instead of depending on someone else.
- Is the Name of the Institute from where a student pursues his/her Graduation/Post Graduation or other courses important while setting up your business?
- What qualities you see for apart from the required academic qualification while recruiting a person?
Very important quality is the person’s attitude.
- “Earning more & more is the motive behind any business.” Is it justifiable?
YES! Earning more is not at all a problem. There are 3 words for money – Earning it, Making it, and stealing it. And of course if you are earning… it is justifiable in all sense. And if you making it, be sure of having some ethics while you do it and last one is not justifiable at all. 😉
- Share with us the most enjoyable & most embarrassing moment you had experienced on work.
Most embarrassing – when I was on stage first time in life and I forgot all the languages in this world. And most enjoyable is when I rocked in front of 3000 audience as the best performing speaker of the day.
- Your feedback for BMS.co.in?
This portal is a great initiative to bring awareness among students about the entrepreneurial life and I wish you all the Best!
History– Started on Feb 2012
Vision/Mission– One stop solution for all the Startup/Entrepreneurial Doubts and queries.
Products & Service– Community for entrepreneurs
Marketing Strategy– Word of mouth
Existing Market Presence– In India mostly in Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi and Bangalore
Future Plan – Going worldwide.
Latest posts by karan (see all)
- Latest Notification for MMS/MBA admissions 2014-16 - July 11, 2014
- 7 Reasons To Ensure You Do An MMS/MBA - July 7, 2014
- What is the difference between MBA and PGDM program? - July 6, 2014