Definition: A Manager is the person responsible for planning and directing the work of a group of individuals, monitoring their work, and taking corrective action when necessary. For many people, this is their first step into a management career.
Managers may direct workers directly or they may direct several supervisors who direct the workers. The manager must be familiar with the work of all the groups he/she supervises, but does not need to be the best in any or all of the areas. It is more important for the manager to know how to manage the workers than to know how to do their work well. A manager may have the power to hire or fire employees or to promote them. In larger companies, a manager may only recommend such action to the next level of management. The manager has the authority to change the work assignments of team members.
A manager’s title reflects what he/she is responsible for. An Accounting Manager supervises the Accounting function. An Operations Manager is responsible for the operations of the company. The Manager of Design Engineering supervises engineers and support staff engaged in design of a product or service. A Night Manager is responsible for the activities that take place at night. There are many management functions in business and, therefore, many manager titles. Regardless of title, the manager is responsible for planning, directing, monitoring and controlling the people and their work.
Roles and responsibilities of Managers
1. Integrity- Integrity is the cornerstone of all values. A business manager should be morally upright. It is this characteristic. That distinguishes professional manager from a mercenary.
2. Impartiality- A manager should look at and treat all aspects of an issue in a fair and unprejudiced manner.
3. Responsiveness to the Public Interest – Though a manager is paid to serve the interest of the stockholders of the company, public interest is no less important.
4. In fact, managers should consider it as of paramount importance, if they have to be successful in their tasks.
5. Accountability- Accountability is one of the basic characteristics of a good business manager. Business manage are responsible for all their actions and are accountable to an the stakeholder- stockholder, creditors, employees, consumer, government and the society at large.
6. Honesty- A cardinal ethical value that a manager should possess is this quality. Managers should be fair just and sincere both in character and behaviour. They should not indulge in cheating or stealing and should be free of deceit and untruthfulness.
7. Transparency- Good business managers should be transparent and set standards for others to follow: They should be frank and open. Their action should be easily discussed and understood by others.
- Supervise and manage the overall performance of staff in his department.
- Analyzing, reporting, giving recommendations and developing strategies on how to improve quality and quantity.
- Achieve business and organization goals vision and objectives.
- Involved in employee selection, career development, succession planning and periodic training.
- Working out compensations and rewards.
- Responsible for the growth and increase in the organizations’ finances and earnings.
- Identifying problems, creating choices and providing alternatives courses of actions.
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019