Strategic Management is a subject in Semester 3 of SYBMS. Strategic management means identifying and describing the strategies that managers can carry so as to achieve better performance and a competitive advantage for the organization. A strategic manager must have thorough knowledge and analysis of the general and competitive organizational environment in order to take the right decisions.
In BMS, the subject Strategic Management is introduced so that students learn the management policies and strategies at every level to develop conceptual skills in this area and also understand its application in the corporate world. The focus of the subject is to critically examine the management of the entire enterprise from the top management view points. The subject deals with corporate level policy and strategy formulation areas.
UBMSFSIII.8: STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT
[60 lectures: 3 Credit]
Unit-1 Business Policy: 12 lectures
- Business Policy-Meaning, Nature, Importance
- Strategy-Meaning, Definition
- Strategic Management-Meaning, Definition, Importance, Strategic management
- Process & Levels of Strategy and Concept and importance of Strategic Business Units(SBU’s)
- Strategic Intent – Mission, Vision, Goals, Objective, Plans
Unit-2 Strategy Formulation: 16 lectures
- Environment Analysis and Scanning (SWOT)
- Corporate Level Strategy (Stability, Growth, Retrenchment, Integration and Internationalization)
- Business Level Strategy (Cost Leadership, Differentiation, Focus)
- Functional Level Strategy (R & D, HR, Finance, Marketing, Production)
Unit-3 Strategic Implementation: 18 lectures
- Models of Strategy making.
- Strategic Analysis & Choices & Implementation: BCG Matrix, GE 9 Cell, Porter 5 Forces, 7S Frame Work
- Implementation: Meaning, Steps and implementation at Project, Process, Structural, Behavioral, Functional level.
Unit-4 Strategic Evaluation & Control: 14 lectures
- Strategic Evaluation & Control – Meaning, Steps of Evaluation & Techniques of Control
- Synergy: Concept, Types, evaluation of Synergy. Synergy as a Component of Strategy & its Relevance.
- Change Management – Elementary Concept
- Kazmi Azhar, Business Policy & Strategic Management, Tata McGraw Hill.
- P.K. Ghosh: Business Policy, Strategy, Planning and Management
- Christensen, Andrews Dower: Business Policy- Text and Cases
- William F. Gkycj: Business Policy – Strategy Formation and Management Action
- Bongee and Colonan: Concept of Corporate Strategy.