On the Job Training Methods
- Job Rotation: In this method, usually employees are put on different jobs turn by turn where they learn all sorts of jobs of various departments. The objective is to give a comprehensive awareness about the jobs of different departments. Advantage – employee gets to know how his own and other departments also function. Interdepartmental coordination can be improved, instills team spirit. Disadvantage – It may become too much for an employee to learn. It is not focused on employees own job responsibilities. Employees basic talents may remain under utilized.
- Job Coaching: An experienced employee can give a verbal presentation to explain the nitty-gritty’s of the job.
- Job Instruction: It may consist an instruction or directions to perform a particular task or a function. It may be in the form of orders or steps to perform a task.
- Apprenticeships: Generally fresh graduates are put under the experienced employee to learn the functions of job.
- Internships and Assistantships: An intern or assistants are recruited to perform a specific time-bound jobs or projects during their education. It may consist a part of their educational courses.