The following are the features of motivation:
- It is an internal feeling and forces a person to action.
- It is a continuous activity.
- It varies from person to person and from time to time.
- It may be positive or negative.
IMPORTANCE OF MOTIVATION
Motivation is an important part of managing process. A team of highly qualified and motivated employees is necessary for achieving objectives of an organization because of the following reasons:
- Motivated employees make optimum use of available resources for achieving objectives.
- Motivation is directly related to the level of efficiency of employees.
- Motivated employees make full use of their energy and other abilities to raise the existing level of efficiency.
- Motivated employees make goal-directed efforts. They are more committed and cooperative for achieving organizational objectives.
- Motivated employees are more loyal and sincere to an organization. These factors help reduce absenteeism and labor turnover.
- Motivation is considered as a backbone of good industrial relations.
- Effectively motivated employees get more job satisfaction and possess high morale.
- Motivation also helps in improving the image of an organization.
The motivation process begins with identification of individual needs. For example, when an employee feels underpaid then what, then he tries to fulfill his needs by asking for a raise or by working harder to earn a raise or by seeking a new job. He then chooses to pursue one or more of these options for instance, working harder while simultaneously looking for a job. If his hard work resulted in a pay rise, he probably feels satisfied and will continue to work hard. But if no raise has been provided he is likely to try another option. Since people have many different needs, the satisfaction of one need or set of needs is likely to give rise to the identification of other needs. Thus, the cycle of motivation is constantly repeated.
Understanding human motivation is crucial for managing people. Extensive research has been performed to find out what makes people work and how to motivate them. This includes managers, social scientists, behaviorists and psychologists. A number of theories have been developed, even though there is no universally acceptable motivation theory. Understanding these theories facilitates the managers to get a better insight into the human behavior.
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019