UBMSFSII.1 : Business Environment
[50 lectures: 3 Credit]
The objectives of the course are:
- The basic objective of the course is to develop understanding and provide knowledge about business environment to the management students.
- To promote basic understanding on the concepts of Business Environment and to enable them to realize the impact of environment on Business.
- The provide knowledge about the Indian and international business environment.
|Unit||Name of the Topic||No. of|
|Unit 1||Introduction to Business Environment||12|
|a)||Business – Meaning, Definition, Nature & Scope, Types of Business|
|b)||Business Environment- Meaning, Characteristics, Scope and Significance,|
|Components of Business Environment.|
|c)||Micro and Macro Environment – Definition, Differentiation, Analysis of|
|Business Environment, SWOT Analysis.|
|d)||Introduction to Micro-Environment –|
|Internal Environment: Value system, Mission, Objectives,|
|Organizational Structure, Organizational Resources, Company|
|Image, Brand Equity|
|External Environment: Firm, customers, suppliers, distributors,|
|e)||Introduction to Macro Components – Demographic, Natural, Political, Social,|
|Cultural Economic, Technological, International and Legal)|
|Unit 2||Political and Legal environment||12|
|a)||Political Institutions- Legislature, Executive, Judiciary, Role of government in|
|Business, Legal framework in India.|
|b)||Economic environment- economic system and economic policies. Concept of|
|Capitalism, Socialism and Mixed Economy|
|c)||Impact of business on Private sector, Public sector and Joint sector|
|d)||Sun-rise sectors of India Economy. Challenges of Indian economy.|
|Unit 3||A) Social and Cultural Environment – Nature, Impact of foreign culture on||12|
|Business, Traditional Values and its Impact, Social Audit – Meaning and Importance|
|of Corporate Governance and Social Responsibility of Business|
|B) Technological environment -Features, impact of technology on Business|
|C) Competitive Environment – Meaning, Michael Porter’s Five Forces Analysis,|
|Unit 4 International Environment –||14|
- GATT/ WTO: Objective and Evolution of GATT, Uruguay round, GATT v/s WTO, Functions of WTO, Pros and Cons of WTO.
- Globalization – Meaning , Nature and stages of Globalization, features of Globalization, Foreign Market entry strategies, LPG model.
- MNCs – Definition, meaning, merits, demerits, MNCs in India
- FDI – Meaning, FDI concepts and functions, Need for FDI in developing countries, Factors influencing FDI, FDI operations in India,
b) Challenges faced by International Business and Investment Opportunities for Indian Industry.
- Morrison J, The International Business Environment, Palgrave
- Francis Cherunilam, Business Environment-Himalaya Publishing House, New Delhi
- Aswathappa, Essentials of Business Environment, Himalaya Publishing House, New Delhi
- MISHRA AND PURI, Indian Economy, Himalaya Publishing House, New Delhi
- Business Environment Raj Aggarwal Excel Books, Delhi
- Strategic Planning for Corporate Ramaswamy V McMillan, New Delhi
- Business and society – Lokanathan and Lakshmi Rajan, Emerald Publishers.
- Economic Environment of Business – M. Adhikary, Sultan Chand & Sons.
(P.S. The syllabus has been updated on 12th November 2014 as per the revised 2014-15 syllabus)
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019