1) Kupwara is a town in Kupwara District in the Indian State of Jammu & Kashmir. In 2001, the total population of this town was 14,711.
2) It is situated at an altitude of 5300 feet above sea level and is the northmost district of Kashmir Valley.
3) On dec 18,2014 a gunbattle underwent between terrorists and security forces in Kupwara District of Jammu and Kashmir. The police cordoned off the area soon after the attacks.
4) The attack came just days ahead of the fifth phase of polling in Jammu & Kashmir on saturday.
5) Among the 21 people who were killed in four attacks were Eight army personnel, three policemen and eight terrorists in Uri, Srinagar, Shopian and Tral despite the large number of army units, paramilitary forces and state police before the third phase of polls in the state.
Images of Kupwara:-