Chairman is the person who is elected to preside over the meeting and conduct the proceeding of the meeting.
According to section 175, a meeting cannot proceed to transact any business without electing a chairman.
Who shall be the chairman?
A chairman is usually a member of the body over which he is to preside.
In case of a company: the Articles usually name the chairman of the board of directors to preside over the general meetings.
If the article is silent, then a chairman is elected from among the members present.
Procedure of election: u/s. 175(1) a chairman may be elected by show of hands.
Section 175(2) provides that if a poll is demand then, the chairman shall be elected by poll.
- The chairman presides over the meeting
- He conducts the proceeding of the meeting
- He must decide questions arising out at the meeting
- He gives reasonable chance to the members to discuss any proposed resolution.
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019