The term ‘motivation’ has been derived from the word ‘motive’. Motive refers to the inner drive that makes a person to do something or to behave in a certain way.
In the words of Micheal Jucious “Motivation is the act of stimulating someone or oneself to get a desired course of action, to push the right button to get a desired reaction.”
Importance of Motivation : Motivation is vital in any organization. Employees are motivated to perform effectively by providing them monetary and non-monetary incentives. the following are the advantages of motivation:
1. Higher Efficiency : Motivation helps to generate higher efficiency in the organization. when employee get incentives, they are motivated to perform with commitment and dedication. this in turn improves efficiency of the employees.
2. Innovation : Motivation enables employees to come up with innovative ideas. Innovation helps an organization to gain competitive advantage.
3. Corporate Image : Due to motivation, the overall performance of the employees improves. Improved performance enables the firm to get higher results. This in turn enhances corporate image of the firm in the minds of shareholders, customers, and other members of the society.
4. Team Work : Innovation helps to develop team work in the organization. when team incentives are given to the employees, they are motivated to work as a team, which in turn improves overall performance of the organization.
5. Optimum use of Resources : Motivation helps to make optimum use of resources. Motivated employees work with application and dedication. They make optimum use of physical and capital resources.
6. Reduction in Absenteeism : Motivated work force remains less absent. There is a direct relationship between motivation and reduction in absenteeism. Motivated employee are not only less absent, but they may even work for extra hours, if the situation so demands.
7. Reduction in Labour Turnover : Labour turnover takes place when employees leave the organization and join some other place. Quite often, lack of motivation results in higher labour turnover and vice-versa.
8. Better Relations : Motivation enables better relations in the organization. Motivated workforce work with team spirit, which in turn leads to better relations. Better relations enable the organization to generate higher efficiency.
Latest posts by MT UVA BMS (see all)
- International Finance Important Question Bank – MT UVA BMS - May 5, 2014
- Special Studies in Finance Chapter-wise Important Sums for practice - November 25, 2013
- Operations Research Important Questions 2013 – MT UVA BMS - April 22, 2013