The term Organizational Development (OD) refers to a broad range of behavioral science based strategies used to diagnose the need for change in organizations and to implement changes when necessary. OD can be defined as a technique for bringing change in the entire organization, rather man focusing attention on individuals to bring change easily in the entire organization.
Nature of OD
OD is a general strategy or approach to organizational change mat is employed to analyze and diagnose the sources of organizational problems and to develop and implement action plans for their solution. According to Bennis, OD has the following characteristics;
- It is an educational strategy for bringing planned change.
- It relates to real problems of an organization.
- Laboratory training methods based on experienced behavior are primarily used to bring change.
- Change agent applying OD technique for change is external to the forms of consultants.
- There is a close working relationship between change agents and the people who are being changed. The relationships involve mutual trust, joint goals, means, and mutual influence.
- The change agents share social philosophy about human value. They are humanists seeking to get a humanistic philosophy in organization.
OD interventions refer to various activities which consultant and client organization perform for improving organizational functioning by enabling organization members to better manage their team and organization cultures. French and Well have defined OD interventions as “sets of structured activities in which selected organizational units (target groups or individuals) engage with a task or a sequence of tasks where the task goals are related directly or indirectly to organizational improvement. Interventions constitute the action thrust of organization development; they make things happen and are what is happening.”
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019