The various methods to solve inter-group conflicts directly are as follows:
- Ignoring the conflict: This is a direct method used by (he managers to solve inter-group conflicts. Ignoring the conflict is characterized by the absence of behavior wherein the members of the groups avoids dealing with the dysfunctional aspects of the conflict. In this, a, group simply refuses to attack the other group. But the disadvantage of this method is that it ignores the causes of conflicts and as a result, the conflict situation frequently continues or gets worse over time.
- Domination by the management: This method of solving inter-group conflicts emphasizes on improving the inter-group relations. To improve the inter-group relations, greater integration or collaboration among groups is needed. Management can use domination to minimize the conflicts by exercising its authority and power over the groups and their members.
- Removing the key figures in the conflict: This is another direct method to solve the inter-group conflicts. If a conflict arises because of personality differences between two individuals, removing them is a possible solution. It includes the removal of the key figures in the conflict. The key figures that are to be removed may be leaders of the groups and removing them could lead to greater conflict. It is also difficult to pinpoint accurately the individuals who are the root-cause of conflicts.
- Problem solving: Management can also establish a task force with representatives from groups in conflict to work on problems. The task force develops the ideas ‘and procedures for improving group interaction and thereby attempt to solve the conflicts arising between the groups.
- Appealing to super-ordinate goals. The final method to minimize the conflicts is to find super-ordinate goals. These are goals desired by two or more groups that can only be accomplished through the cooperation of the groups. When conflicting groups have to cooperate to accomplish a goal, conflict can be minimized. For example, a wide profit-sharing plan of a company may encourage groups to work together. If the profits of a company are distributed among employees at the end of the year, the conflicts among groups can reduce. The super ordinate goals are as follows: The assignment and co-ordination of work among groups should be clarified so that the daily disputes over minor issues can be avoided.
- Managers should monitor reward systems to eliminate any win-lose conflicts among groups.
- The use of co-operative approaches among groups in organizations often leads to more positive results than does the use of competitive approaches.
- Managers can establish rules and standard procedures to regulate conflict in more constructive and effective ways.
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019