- Tell us something about yourself and your college.
About Viva College:
Viva College was started in 2000 by V. W. Thakur Charitable Trust. Shri Hitendra Thakur is the President of the Trust. Under his leadership, Viva College has become one of the biggest colleges in Maharashtra in terms of number of courses offered, number of students and infrastructure.
We have an integrated Technical Campus in Virar (E) where MMS, Engineering (Degree), Architecture, Pharmacy and Applied Arts courses are conducted.
In Virar (W) campus, we conduct BA, B.Com, B.Sc., BMS, BMM, B.Sc. (I.T.), B.Sc. (C.S.), Hotel Management, BAF, BBI & BFM. And there is Engineering Diploma Polytechnic too.
Presently in BMS, we have 4 divisions of 60 students each in FY, SY & TY. So in all it makes 12 divisions.
Qualifications: MMS (Mkt.), BE (Civil)
Industrial experience: 5 years (Sales, Admin, Project management)
Teaching experience: 11 years (MMS, BMS, BMM, BAF, BBI)
- Operations Research (BMS sem. VI) (Vipul Prakashan), 4th Edition will arrive in Nov. 2013
Last year, 3rd Edition of this book sold more than 2,500 copies. So perhaps it is the largest selling book for the Subject of Operations Research for TYBMS.
2. Logistics & Supply Chain Management (BMS sem. V) (Vipul Prakashan), 2nd Edition
3. QMB – II (BAF sem. IV) (Vipul Prakashan), 1st Edition
- When did you join this profession? What inspired you to choose this line?
I joined Viva College in July 2003 as Lecturer. It was my passion for teaching which made me shift from industry to teaching. My core subjects are Operations Research, Logistics and Marketing Management. I believe that knowledge increases manifold when it is shared with others.
- As a Coordinator, do you also teach any subjects? If yes, which subjects you teach?
I teach ‘Logistics & Supply Chain Management’ in Sem. V & ‘Operations Research’ in Sem. VI.
- How are the roles and responsibilities of a Coordinator different from that of a faculty? Do you like being a Faculty or a Coordinator? Which helps you to connect more with students?
Definitely, the role of a coordinator is much more complex and wider than that of a faculty. As a teacher, you need to focus only on your respective subject and core area.
But as coordinator, not only do you need to excel at the subject you teach but you also need to devote substantial time to Administrative & Developmental activities. There are so many responsibilities – General administration, Time table, conducting Examinations, Departmental activities, Student development & welfare, taking Student feedback & solving their problems, Assigning workload to fellow teachers, resolving contingencies, conducting University Examinations & Project Vivas, University CAP, Planning Industrial visits, Maintaining rapport with Higher level college authorities & College Management, Conducting interviews for b\new recruits etc.
A coordinator is a decision maker, a leader, a manager… all enrolled into one!
But all this has its rewards. You get to connect with the students and understand them better. You learn so much doing all this administrative work. You need to enjoy it, to give justice to it. It is a tough job and needs a lot of discipline and dedication. And sometimes, you may have to take some unpopular decisions.
- Who in your life has influenced the most?
My mother, Pratibha, who herself has been a career woman. She retired as an Income Tax Officer. My wife, Manasi, who is also a teacher, teaches Economics. And my son, Akshay, who is a source of constant happiness & inspiration for me.
- Tell us something about your college fests/events and extra-curricular activities? Do you believe that it should be made compulsory for students to manage both studies and be a part of college fests/events?
Yes, BMS students should participate in various extracurricular activities. It helps in developing their personality. It gives them a platform to express their talent and knowledge.
At Viva, we do not have a inter-collegiate BMS festival as of now. We plan to start it in near future.
We have very active NSS and NCC units. They are always conducting camps, rural development programs, Blood donation camps and other social activities. 15th Aug. & 26th Jan. celebrations and NCC parade are special events at Viva.
And we have an integrated cultural wing, VCW (Viva Cultural Wing) which manages functions like Guru Pournima, Teachers’ Day and The Cultural Week which takes place every year in December.
Also, every year there is Science Exhibition organized by all Science departments (Chemistry, Physics & Biological Sciences).
We have VSS (Viva Software Services) which looks after all the software development requirements of Viva college such as on-line admissions, on-line form filling, result declaration, maintaining college website etc.
- Tell us something about your college students’ performances? Does your college provide any placement assistance to BMS students?
Yes. We have an integrated placement cell which handles all placements related with various professional courses i.e. BMS, BAF, BBI, BFM & BMM.
Placements do take place every year and most of these happen for BMS students.
Generally, Retail, Banking and Sales are the functional areas in which placements take place.
- What are your future plans for the college?
To grow the department further in terms of Quality, Discipline & Output; to start an Inter-Collegiate event for BMS students.
- What are the prospects after BMS?
There are entry level jobs in various functional areas like Sales, Marketing, Finance, HR, Banking etc.
There are prospects for PG education – MBA/ MMS/ PGDM.
Those who are interested can give various competitive exams – MPSC/ UPSC.
There are other non-conventional areas such as Travel & tourism, IATA etc.
And of course, one can go abroad for foreign education or a job.
- What message would you like to give to BMS students?
Gain maximum possible knowledge. Read lots of books, journals, business magazines. Do not rely only on internet for gathering information or doing projects. Improve presentation and communication skills. Be in touch with current affairs.
Increase your awareness level, not just about business, but also about politics, current affairs, economics, sports.
Try to have a 360 degrees orientation.
And most importantly, enjoy yourself!
- Your suggestions/feedback for BMS.co.in?
My sincere thanks to BMS.co.in for giving me this opportunity. I wish them All the best in future. You are doing a wonderful job. Do keep it up.
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019