An Interview with Prof. Deepa Makkad, BMS Co-ordinator, Western College of Commerce & Business Management
- Tell us something about yourself and your college.
Western College of Commerce & Business Management is situated in Navi Mumbai, Sanpada. We at WCCBM, as it is popularly known, while maintaining the academic prescribed syllabus, we aim to promote and foster personal and intellectual growth of our students. We believe that the young generation develops in nation building and contribute to the cause of the society apart from their materialistic aspirations and professional growth.
I started teaching in the year 1989 and later joined the industry and returned back to my first love i.e-teaching in the year 2003. So, I have about 12yrs of teaching experience and 9 years in the industry.
- When did you join this profession? What inspired you to choose this line?
My mother, who retired as a teacher, has been my inspiration. Moreover, been born in a family of educationists inspired me more to teach.
- As a Coordinator, do you also teach any subjects? If yes, which subjects you teach?
I teach HRM, Marketing, IMTP, PR, BE i.e. most of the management related subjects.
- How are the roles and responsibilities of a Coordinator different from that of a faculty?
A coordinator is a teacher first and my main responsibility is bringing out the best in my students. Apart from teaching as a coordinator I have to see that the department functions smoothly and do the needful.
- Do you like being a Faculty or a Coordinator? Which helps you to connect more with students?
I love teaching and that helps me to connect with my students.
- Who in your life has influenced the most?
As mentioned earlier my mother has influenced and inspired me most to teach and my father being an educationist and pioneer in this education field made me join this profession.
- Tell us something about your college fests/events and extra-curricular activities? Do you believe that it should be made compulsory for students to manage both studies and be a part of college fests/events?
‘GENESIS –The spark of rising youth’ is the BMS fest of WCCBM. Genesis commenced in the year 2011 and every year the fest has grown and we have managed to get a good response. Yes, I do believe that fests should be made compulsory for the BMS students as they learn all the skills organizing the fest. They get practical knowledge and it brings out their talent. All their principles of management topics organizing, scheduling, coordinating and also marketing promotions finance budgeting etc they apply their knowledge while conducting alone the fest. Extra-curricular activities are required for their all round development.
- Tell us something about your college students’ performances? Does your college provide any placement assistance to BMS students?
We do have a placement cell and it provides placement assistance to the students.
- What are your future plans for the college?
WCCBM has a good infrastructure that provides an ambience conducive to teaching and learning and we plan to improve on this more so to bring out the best in our students.
- What message would you like to give to BMS students?
A quote that I read “The roots of true achievement lie in the will to become the best that you can be”.
- Your suggestions/feedback for BMS.co.in?
All my best wishes for BMS.co.in. It is a superb and interactive site. I would suggest we need to give in our inputs and be more active in the updates. I am sure students are getting the benefits …thanks to bms.co.in.