Unit I : Introduction
- Definition of international marketing-important features of international marketing-need for & advantages of international marketing-difference between international & domestic marketing, Basis of International trade.
- International Business Environment
- External factors: Social/ Demographic /Economic/ Commercial / Political & legal – Trade Barriers, Meaning, Objectives, effect of barriers on international trade, Types of barriers: Tariff & non Tariff barriers- Trading Blocs & Growing intra regional trade- WTO & trade liberalization-latest developments at WTO including Doha Round- Role of MNCs in International trade, FDI
Unit II : Product Packaging and Distribution
- Packaging as a part of product planning- Functions of packaging- Factors for package design in international markets- Criteria for export packing (transport packing) – role of Indian Institute of packaging – Export marking on outer packing- Purpose of export marking, selection of overseas distribution channels, factors influencing selection of distribution channels, factors influencing selection of distribution channels, types of foreign intermediaries.
Unit III : Pricing Policy in International Markets
- Factors determining price- Export costing methods – Elements of cost-Factors influencing pricing policy – Information required for export pricing – Export pricing strategies – Break even pricing – Impact of contract conditions on export price offers – INTCOTERMS – Export assistances, incentives, Govt. of India’s initiatives – Impact of export incentives on export pricing.
Unit IV : Overseas Market Selection
- Methods of market entry, Identifying foreign markets, selecting potential markets – Constraints in entering in some global territories – Market selection process – Objectives entering into international markets – Setting parameters, preliminary screening of the probable markets – sources of information – Short listing of markets, evaluation & selection of potential markets – Market segmentation based on overall market profile, Basis for segmentation, Factors for segment selection, essential characteristics of market segments – Preference available to Indian exporters.
Recommended books :
- International Business, Justin Paul, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi
- International Marketing, Francis Cherunilam, Himalaya Publishing House, Mumbai
- International Marketing Management – An Indian Perspective, Varshney RI, Bhattacharya B , Sultan Chand & sons. New Delhi
- International Marketing, P.K. Vasudeva, Excel Books, New Delhi
- International Marketing (SIE), Cateora and Philip, Tata McGraw-Hill
- Globalization of Business, Abbas J. Ali, Jaico Pubishing House, Mumbai, 3rd Edn., 2009