7 UBMSFSI. 7 -Introduction to Computers
[50 lectures: 3 Credit]
The objectives of the course are:
- To provide brief introduction to computer hardware, software and applications development as a background to the identification of potential areas for the use of computers in the management.
- An understanding of application areas and a framework for the use of computers as a management to cope with the changing methods of business ( physical to virtual i.e via internet)
- To familiarize students with recent developments & techniques in Information Technology and develop knowledge of management of computer services activities in institutions engaged in research activities.
- Characteristics of Computers
- Evolutions of Computers
- Types of Computers
- Computer Organization
- Input Unit
- Output Unit
- Storage Unit (Primary and Secondary)
- Processing Unit
- Input and Output Devices
- Input Devices
Keyboard Devices Point and Draw Devices Data Scanning Devices Digitizer Electronic-Card Reader
Speech Recognition Devices Vision-Input System
- Output Devices
Monitors Printers Plotters
Screen Image Projectors Voice Response Systems
- Software Concepts
- Types of Software
Operating Systems: Overview: Definition, Functions, Types -Single user, Multiuser. Study of different OS: DOS, Windows NT, Windows 9X, Windows 2000,
Supporting Utilities: Back up, Anti-virus, Firewall, Spyware, Screen savers.
Application Software: Types Single user, Multiple user, Passport license.
Campus Licence Pirated Software. Commercial SW-Stand Alone, Software
Suites. Freeware, Public Domain SW, Open Source. Word Processing SW,
Spreadsheets, Presentation SW, Database Management SW, PIM.
|Unit 2 Data Communication and Networks||13|
- Networking Basics
1. Overview: Definition, Advantages.
2. Types: Common Types-LANs, WANs, Hybrid Networks -CANs, MANs,HANs. Intranets and Extranets.
3. Networks Structures- Server-Based, Client /Server, Peer to Peer,
- Topologies- Star, Bus, Ring.
- Network Media- Wired-Twisted pair, Co-axial, Fibre Optic and Wireless-Radio and infrared.
- Network Hardware: NIC’s, Hubs, Bridges, Switches, Routers.
7. Cables: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet.
- Network Protocols : TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, NETbios/NetBUI.
- Digital Data connections: Broadband Connections, DSL Technologies, Cable
Modem Connections, ATM
1. Overview: Definition, Types of connections, Sharing internet connection, Hot
|2. Internet Services -, Email, News, FTP, IRC,IM, Online Services, Peer to Peer|
|Services, Blogs, Communities, Social Networking websites.|
|3. WWW: IP addresses, Domain names, URLs. Hyperlinks, HTML,Web|
|4. Searching the Web: Directories, Search Engines-Boolean Search, Advanced|
|Search, Meta Search|
|5. Cyber Crime, Cyber Law, Hacking, Sniffing, Spoofing, Social engineering.|
|Unit 3||Office packages||13|
|features of word processor|
|creating & editing word documents|
|working with tables,|
|using tools, working with menus,|
|creating flowchart, creating templates,|
|working with Mail – Merge, Creating Macro.|
|(B)Presentations with power point :|
|Creating presentation, working with slides, Different type of slides ,|
|setting page layout, selecting background & applying design,|
|adding Graphics to slide, adding sound & Movie,|
|working with table, creating chart & Graph,|
|playing a slide show, slide transition, advancing slides,|
- setting time, rehearsing timing,
- animating slide, animating objects,
- running the show from windows.
1. Use of Excel sheet, saving, opening & printing workbook, 2. Apply formats in cell & text,
- Divide worksheet into pages, setting page layout,
- protecting your work, password protection
- Creating and Using templates
- Creating and Linking Multiple Spreadsheets.
- Add Headers/Footers to a workbook.
4. Create Formulas that use references to cells in different worksheets. 5. Creating and Using named ranges.
|Unit 4 Advanced Excel & Multimedia||12|
|(A) Functions in Excel|
|Financial functions: FV, PV, PMT, PPMT, IPMT, NPER, RATE, NPV, IRR|
|2. Database functions: VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP|
|Conditional Logic functions IF, COUNTIF, SUMIF|
|(B) Data Analysis using Excel|
|Using Scenarios, creating and managing a scenario|
|Using Goal Seek.|
|Pivot Tables -Building Pivot Tables. Pivot Table regions. Rearranging Pivot Table.|
|Creating simple macros.|
|What is multimedia?|
|multimedia computer systems|
Suggested List of Practicals
- Practical session covering Study of Hardware devices [ FOR EXAMPLE monitor, mouse, keyboard, computer data storage, hard drive disk , system unit (graphic cards, sound cards, memory, motherboard and chips)].
- Practical session covering Windows Basics: Desktop, Taskbar, start menu, My computer, Recycle bin, Accessories (notepad, calculator, paint etc.) System use, keyboard, mouse operations, Word pad and paint brush, Creating a folder and saving a document, windows shortcuts etc.
- working with basic DOS commands for example
dir, mkdir, copy, md, cd, del, rd, date, cls etc.
- Creating & formatting the word document
- Save the document
- Running the spell checker.
- Text formatting
- Change the line spacing of the paragraphs
- Applying a hanging indentation
- Replacing the word.
- Insert a soft carriage return.
- Applying the style Heading
- Applying page border to the document.
- Adding a header to the document
- Using bullets points & numbered list.
- Creating table.
- a. Using Mail Merge feature to create form letters in Microsoft Word. b. Creating a macro in MS Word.
- Creating a Power-point presentation by using several features. For example inserting graphics, videos, animation, transition, rehearse timing etc.
- Working with Excel document creating formulae that use references to cells in different worksheets, Creating and Using named ranges, sorting etc.
- Working with Financial, Database & Conditional Logic functions in Excel.
- Data Analysis using Excel.
10. Setting up MS outlook.
Using Internet: Surfing, browsing, Search engines, E-mail and messenger.