BLACK DAY FOR THE FIRE FIGHTERS
As far as concern, everyone might have shocked about the Friday’s blaze which was at Lotus Building Park, Andheri (W). The blaze started from the 21st floor office of Pixion Century Communications at around 9:45 am. Over 50-75 fireman rushed to put out the flames using 62 metre snorkels, 22 fire tenders, and water tankers.
The reason for the fire is not yet confirmed still the investigation is going on. The fire may be raised from a kitchen on the 21st floor which could have been caused by a short circuit as revealed by the source. The open electric ducts of the building helped the fire travel. Flames were spread by heavy winds along with, buildings internal fire fighting wasn’t functional and it had a glass facade, usually hindered fire-fighting operations which in turn made the process difficult. The building was filled with smoke on the 20th, 21st, and 22nd floors. Firemen could have controlled the blaze, but realized after 10-15 min that the fire had travelled down the 10th floor through the electric ducts. If there was showers of rain on that day then, it could have helped the firemen’s to control the fire easier. Firemen’s on the top floors of the building, who were trapped was screaming for help as their codeless phone was not functional due to network problem.
At last, the blaze was brought into control after several pain suffered by fire-fighters and damage caused to building. It was morning as it was the arriving time of employees to the office otherwise there would be great chaos of people in the building. Soon, after the fire around 21 firemen were rushed to the Cooper hospital. Of which, one firemen Nitin Yevlekar was declared dead on the way to hospital due to suffocation. No people other than firemen Yevlekar were injured or dead. The member of the deceased firemen were announced Rs.15 lakh as compensation or financial aid which will not return the life of Yevlekar. Because of the carelessness of the BMC, the father of the two minor daughters has lost his life. If any accident takes place due to the fault of BMC, they always announce the monetary help to convince the family of the victim rather than understanding their feelings.
To protect the life of the people who were staying in these buildings, this firemen pushed themselves into blaze with inadequate equipment who often risk their lives because of the government orders. It is also the fault of the residents who fails to ensure the fire-fighting system in their buildings whether it is in working condition. They should check their electric wiring system regularly and if they fail to do so the government must undertake strict action against them. Here after, I hope that government will pay necessary attention towards this issue and provide the fire-fighters with upgraded equipment. We must be proud of such firemen’s. “FIREMENS ARE REALLY BRAVE PEOPLE, COUNTRY NEEDS THEM INSPITE OF RENDERING SERVICE THEY EVEN SACRIFICE THEIR LIFE FOR SAVING THE LIFE OF OTHERS. SO, INSTEAD OF TAKING ACTION AFTER SOMETHING HAPPENS IT IS BETTER TO TAKE CARE BEFORE.”
AUTHOR : AISHWARYA RAMCHANDRA ACHARYA
PUBLISHED BY: Jasneet Sethi