9 Quick Facts About Aruna Shanbaug Case You Ought To Know
- Aruna Shanbaug, a famous nurse in India died on 18th May 2015, Monday.
- Aruna Shanbaug suffered from coma due to sexual assault by a ward boy in 1973.
- She was in coma for 42 years. Aruna’s journalist friend had filed for mercy killing which was rejected but the Supreme Court in its landmark judgment allowed passive euthanasia.
- Passive euthanasia involves withdrawing of treatment or food that would allow the patient to live.
- In 1970s, Aruna was planning to get married to a medic in the hospital.
- On the night of 27 November 1973, Aruna was sexually assaulted by a sweeper on contract at the King Edward Memorial Hospital.
- He attacked while she was changing clothes in the hospital basement and choked her with a dog chain which cut off oxygen supply to her brain resulting in brain stem contusion injury and cervical cord injury.
- The police case was registered by the Dean of KEM, Dr. Deshpande and the rapist was sentenced 2 concurrent 7-year sentences for assault and robbery.
- However, the ward boy has changed his name after leaving prison and continues to work in a Delhi hospital as per the reports.
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019