- Membership is limited till 250 out of which 12 are nominated by the President for their work in fields like arts, science ,social services and literature.
- The remaining posts are selected by state and territorial legislature.
- Rajya Sabha never dissolves completely because one third of its members retire after every two years although each member enjoys a term of 6 years.
- It meets on continuous sessions because it never dissolves like lok sabha.
- Incase of a serious conflict between both the hoses a join session is held but till date only three such sessions have been held.
- Lok sabha is more powerful than Rajya Sabha because of the amount of people.
- The Vice-President is the ex-officio chairman of the Rajya Sabha.
- In the absence of chairman Deputy Chairman is considered to be chairman and follows his duties.
- The salaries of both the members is the same.
Qualifications Required To Be A Member
- Indian Citizenship.
- Age should be 30 or more
- The person should be elected by the Legislative Assembly of States and Union Territories by means of single transferable vote through proportional representative.
- The quorum is of 25 members that means there should be a minimum of 25 members the proceed the meet.
- Rajya Sabha cannot pass Confidence Motion.
The Firsts of The Rajya Sabha
- First Chairman -Dr. S. Radhakrishnan
- First constitution -on 3rd April 1952
- First meet -13th May 1952
- First Deputy Chairman -Shri S. V. Krishnamoorthy Rao
- First woman nominated -Smt. Rukmini Devi Arundale
The Current Members of The Rajya Sabha
- Chairman -Shri Mohammad Hamid Ansari
- Deputy Chairman -Prof. P. J. Kurien
- Leader of the oppositon -Shri Arun Jaitley
- Secretary General of Rajya Sabha -Shri Shumsher K. Sheriff