Unit I : Introduction to OR and Linear Programming
- Operation Research – Introduction, Models, Areas of Application. Linear Programming (L.P.): Mathematical Formulation of L.P. problem.
- Graphical Method. Simplex Method – Concept of slack, surplus & artificial variables. Manual solutions of L.P.P. upto 3 iterations. Minimization & Maximization Problems.
- Special Cases – (i) Alternative optima (ii) Unbounded solutions & (iii) Infeasible solutions to be shown graphically & also by simplex method.
Unit II : Transportation & Assignment Models
- Definition of the transportation model. Balanced / Unbalanced, Minimization / Maximization. Determination of the initial basic feasible solution using (i) North-West Corner Rule (ii) Least cost method & (iii) Vogel’s approximation method for balanced & unbalanced transportation problems. Optimality Test & obtaining of optimal solution. (Considering per unit transportation cost)
- Assignment Problem – Hungarian method.
- Statement of Transportation & Assignment Problems as L.P. Problems.
Unit III : Network Analysis
- Construction of Network – Rules & Precautions.
- C.P.M. & P.E.R.T. Networks. Obtaining of Critical Path. Time estimates for activities. Probability of completion of project. Determination of floats (total, free, independent & interfering) Crashing of Simple Networks.
Unit IV : Decision Theory And Decision Tree
- Decision Environments – risk & uncertainty, Payoff table, Regret table.
- Decision making under uncertainty
- Maximin & Maximax criteria
- Minimax Regret criterion
- Laplace criterion
- Hurwicz criterion
- Expected Monetary Value criterion.
- Expected Value of Perfect Information (E.V.P. I.)
- Expected Opportunity Loss (E.O.L.).
- Decision Tree, Simple examples
Recommended books :
- Operations Research – An introduction 6th Edition , Taha H.A., Hall of India
- Operations Research Techniques for Management 7th Edition, Kapoor V.K., Sultan Chand & Sons
- Operations Research 9th Edition, Kantiswarup, Gupta P.K. & Sultan Chand & Sons Manmohan
- Operations Research 8th Edition, Sharma S.D., Kedarnath, Ramnath & Company
- Operations Research 2nd Edition, Bronson R, Shaum’s Outline Series
- Quantitative Techniques in Management 3rd Edition , Vora N.D., Tata McGraw Hill co.
- Principles & Application 3rd Ed, Shreenath L.S., PERT & CPM, Affiliated East-West Press Pvt. Ltd.
- Principles of Operations Research 2nd Edition, Wagener H.M., Prentice – Hall of India
- Operations Research – Methods & Problems 1st Edition , Sasieni M, Yaspan A & John Wiley & Sons Friedman L
- Operations Research, Natrajan Balasubramani, Tamilarasi, Pearson Education
- Linear Programming, G. Hadley, Narosa Book Distributors Private Ltd
- Quantitative Techniques (For Managerial Decisions VOL I), L.C. Jhamb, Everest Publishing House, Pune.
- Linear Programming, Paul Loomba, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Co. Ltd.
- Operations Research Edition 2008, Aditham B. Rao, Jaico Publishing House, Mumbai,