Objectives Of Codification
The objectives of a rationalized material coding system are:
1. Bringing all items together.
2. To enable putting up of any future item in its proper place.
3. To classify an item according to its characteristics.
4. To give an unique code number to each item to avoid duplication and ambiguity.
5. To reveal excessive variety and promote standardization and variety reduction.
6. To establish a common language for the identification of an item.
7. To fix essential parameters for specifying an item.
8. To specify item as per national and international standards.
9. To enable data processing and analysis.