The Case Method:
A case is a written document, a description of an organisation, an event, an incident about an actual or imaginary business situation. It contains the facts or history in the backdrop of internal and external environment. Cases are usually based on matters gathered about real or imaginary organizations. Sometimes, fabricated cases are developed. The decision or analysis, a student is expected to make is based on :
- Logical understanding of the fundamentals
- Clear understanding of the case
- Personal opinion based on analysis, assumption and decision making ability.
APPROACH TO THE CASE ANALYSIS
The following check list is given to enable a student develop a quick approach for case analysis:
1. Carefully glance through the material.
2. Try to catch the general idea by reading the case as a whole.
3. Comprehend the case perspective.
4. Make mental notes of important facts and ideas.
5. Arrive at some preliminary formulation of the problem.
6. Grasp the relevant facts and firm up a logical and orderly relationship between them.
One must remember that one is not aspiring to perfection, but is developing analytical capability for problem solving. The following practical guidelines will assist in the case analysis:
- For analysis of facts, the following suggestions are offered-
1) List of facts should be prepared in a logical manner,
2) If any assumption has been made, it should be clearly stated,
3) Quantitative analysis should be done with the help of statements, charts and graphs wherever necessary.
- Main questions to be answered should be identified and questions, which need to be answered to tackle the main questions, should be stated.( pl. relate your topic knowledge with the case and answer the questions)
- Criteria for the decision should be determined keeping in view the main objectives.
Special Note for HRM Case Study :
1. Allocate 30 minutes for the case.
2. Suggested time break down:
1st reading of the case 05 Minutes
Writing analysis/Facts of the case 05 Minutes
2nd reading of the case 02 Minutes
Writing answers of the case 15 Minutes
Write conclusion of the case 03 Minutes
Total : 30 Minutes
Latest posts by Seema Sawant (see all)
- HRM Chapter wise Important Questions 2013 by Prof. Seema Sawant - November 8, 2013
- Tips to crack HRM Case Study - November 8, 2013