Fundamentals of Research:
Types of Research:
- Basic research,
- Case study approach.
Approaches to Research:
- Quantitative approach – Inferential, Experimental, Simulation
- Qualitative approach – Ethnographic, Phenomenological, Field research.
Importance of research in management decisions:
- Various areas of research in business-
- Marketing research
- Government policies and economic systems
- Social relationship
- Planning and operational problems of research in business.
- Selecting the topic,
- Defining the research problem,
- Objectives of research,
- Literature survey,
- Sample design,
- Data collection,
- Execution of project,
- Analysis of data and hypothesis testing,
- Generalization and interpretation and preparation of research report.
Features of good research:
- Features of good research design,
- Types of research design: Exploratory, descriptive, casual.
- Importance and types,
- Formulation of hypothesis and testing of hypothesis.
- Chi-square test,
- Correlation coefficient,
- Regression analysis.
- Essentials of a good sample,
- Sample size
Methods of sampling:
- Probability sampling – cluster, stratified, multi-stage
- Non-probability sampling – purposive, quota, convenience.
Sources and methods of data collection:
Primary and secondary data:
- Primary sources – observation, interview, questionnaire, interview schedules.
- Secondary sources- Data processing, tabulation, data analysis and interpretation
- Report writing – layout of research report.
- Research Methodology – Methods and Techniques – C.R. Kothari
- Research Methodology – Krishnaswamy O.R.
- Business Research Methods – Donald R Cooper and Pamela S Schindler
- Research methods in business – Nandagopal / Rajan
- Research Method for Business, a skill building approach – Uma Sekaram
- Research methods – Donald H. McBurney
- Statistics for management – Levin and Reuben
- Research methods for management – Dr. S. Shahjahan