Do you have 67 minutes to help someone? Did you know that Nelson Mandela spent 67 years of his life in serving others? The United Nation recognizes Nelson Mandela’s values and his dedication to the service of humanity, in the fields of conflict resolution, race relations, promotion and protection of human rights, gender equality an right of children and upliftment of poor and underdeveloped communities. Nelson Mandela International Day 2014 is celebrated on 18th July 2014.
This year, in New York, UN staff, joined by the Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, and in partnership with MillionTreesNYC will volunteer their time on 18 July 2014 and involve in activities like pulling weeds, putting down mulch and watering tree beds to help take care of newly planted trees on the streets of Midtown Manhattan and East Harlem.
- “Our achievements, however, we know full well, must not be used as an excuse for exaggerating our successes or for ignoring errors committed and weaknesses that require urgent attention.” ~ Nelson Mandela from an article published in Africa South, Vol 6.1, October–December 1961 #Time2Serve
- “The true character of a society is revealed in how it treats its children.” ~ Nelson Mandela at the launch of the Blue Train, Worcester Station, Worcester, South Africa, 27 September 1997 #LivingTheLegacy#Time2Serve
- “Our struggle for freedom and justice was a collective effort. Mandela Day is no different.” ~ Nelson Mandela speaking at the Nelson Mandela Foundation, Johannesburg, South Africa, 30 June 2009#Time2Serve
- “Those who conduct themselves with morality, integrity and consistency need not fear the forces of inhumanity and cruelty.” ~ Nelson Mandela during the British Red Cross Humanity Lecture, Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre, London, England, 10 July 2003#Time2Serve
- “As long as poverty, injustice and gross inequality persist in our world, none of us can truly rest.” ~Nelson Mandela at the Launch of the ‘Make Poverty History’ campaign , Trafalgar Square, London, England, 3 February 2005 #Time2Serve
- “In human affairs, no single person, organisation or social formation ever has a final or an absolutely correct position. It is through conversation, debate and critical discussion that we approach positions that may provide workable solutions.” ~ Nelson Mandela in a message to the eighth National Congress of COSATU (Congress of South African Trade Union), Midrand, South Africa, 15–18 September 2003 #LivingTheLegacy#Time2Serve
- “The time of conflict in our land is over. We must embrace one another on the basis of justice and nurture the extended family to which we all belong.” ~Nelson Mandela during Beyers Naude’s eightieth Birthday , Johannesburg, South Africa, 23 May 1995#Time2Serve
- “Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them.” ~ Nelson Mandela during a Father ’s Day lunch hosted by Zindzi Mandela, Hyatt Women of Vision Club, Johannesburg, South Africa, 1 June 2002 #LivingTheLegacy#Time2Serve
- “A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.” ~ Nelson Mandela from a letter to Fatima Meer, written on Robben Island, 1 January 1976#LivingTheLegacy#Time2Serve
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019