Commerce students after 12th std have plethora of options to choose to decide the beginning of their careers. Whether to go for plain B.Com, BMS, BBI, BAF, BFM, hotel management, law, etc. Commerce students are spoilt for choices.
For the benefit of those who have passed HSC Exam from any board and are seeking admission to any college affiliated to University of Mumbai…
- Admission Procedure is different compared with what you had experienced for admission to XI Standard two years ago in Mumbai.
- After University announces the schedule, you need to register on University website giving college preferences.
- However, you need to collect forms from and submit them in all the colleges you wish to apply.
- Colleges declare Merit Lists as per University Schedule. It’s not the Centralised Merit List like XI Standard Admission.
- In House Quota is applicable ONLY for conventional Degree Courses i.e. B. Sc. for Science Students, B.Com. for Commerce Students & B.A. for Arts Students. There is NO In House Quota in ANY college for courses like B.Sc. IT, Biotech, BAF, BBI, BMS, BMM etc. For these courses In House students will be treated AT PAR with other students based on Merit.
As a faculty and Coordinator of BMS course of a reputed college what I have observed over the years that students are extremely confused and nervous at the time of admissions. Just so that they don’t lose out on good colleges, students end up filling forms for every possible course offered by those colleges. For example, a student interested in BMS will apply in 5 colleges of his choice and to be on the safer side will also apply for BBI, BAF, BFM courses of those colleges. This can be so tedious. Filling those many application forms, follow up with cut off list displayed by the colleges, letting go of admission obtained in BBI or BAF and wait till the time one doesn’t get admission in BMS. Phew !! it can be so tiring and frustrating experience.
Instead what I would suggest is to focus on only one course say for example BMS and fill forms of 10-15 colleges. Have a group of like- minded friends interested in BMS and delegate them to take responsibility of updating the cut off list of at least 2-3 colleges. So this way each one of you has to look for only 2-3 colleges and update the others. This can make life so much easier. Another ideal way is to get in touch with seniors of those respective colleges who can update you about the cut off list and subsequent admission procedures.
Some general information for BMS course:
- No college shall conduct any entrance test in any form and the admissions are purely based on merit duly following the reservation policy as per the norms of Government of Maharashtra.
- While drawing the merit list, weightage has to be given to students from Arts, Commerce and Science Stream at 12th Standard level. The stream wise weightage to be given is as under.:
|Stream||Commerce||Arts||Science||Diploma in Engineering and Other (like IB etc)|
The applications are to be accepted and processed by the colleges stream wise separately and the merit list is to be displayed stream wise taking into account the reservation policy prescribed by the Government of Maharashtra.
Please follow the below link to have a deeper understanding of online procedure for BMS course under Mumbai university.
There might be changes in the admission process as prescribed by Mumbai university. Be ready for all sorts of change.
Few things to carry at the time of admission process
- Online pre admission form dully signed. Its printed in 3 copies
- Passport size photographs
- 10th & 12th marksheets original as well as photocopy
- Leaving certificate if available
- Aadhar card original & photocopy
- Caste certificates or declaration if applicable
- Minority declaration if applicable
- Stationery like pen, pencil, eraser, glue, stapler, etc
- Fees generally in the form of DD/Cheque
- Drinking water so that you don’t get dehydrated
- Snacks to keep your energy level high
I hope this basic information will be helpful to students and parents. Make the right choice. All the best