The Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) is a national level aptitude test conducted in India by XLRI (formerly known as Xavier Labour Relations Institute), a business school in Jamshedpur in the state of Jharkhand in India, as an entrance test for its and other highly reputed institutes, including Xavier Institute of Management and Goa Institute of Management programmes.
•A candidate must be a graduate from a recognized university or a deemed university.
•Candidates appearing for the final year of bachelor’s degree and awaiting results can also apply.
XAT is a paper based aptitude test, followed by a subjective test on essay writing & general awareness.
It will have four sections (i) Verbal and Logical Ability (ii) Decision Making (iii) Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation (iv) General Knowledge. The marks of General Knowledge will not be used for determining the percentile and cut off at first stage of selection. However it is used by XLRI and some other Associate Member Institutes at the time of final selection
Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning:
Logical Reasoning and Verbal Ability section usually has 30 questions. It has about 3 Reading Comprehension passages; the topics for other related questions in the English Usage area are as follows:
- Grammar Articles, propositions etc.
- Verbal Reasoning
- Jumbled paragraph
A certain portion also has questions which are based on Critical Reasoning. Inductive and Deductive logic questions can also come.
The question in this section can be from the following categories:
- Decision Making
- Tables and Caselets
- Linear Arrangements
Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
This particular section usually has 36 questions. Out of which 24 questions are related to Quantitative Ability and 12 questions were based on Data Interpretation section. The topics of this section are as follows:
- Charts and diagrams
- Tables and Caselets
- Interest and Growth rates
- Time and Distance
- Number Systems
- Number Theory
- Surds and Indices
- Linear Equations
- Quadrilaterals and Polygons
- Critical Path
General Awareness section was introduced in the XAT exam last year only. It is one of the part in one of the two sections of the Paper 2 of XAT paper along with Essay Writing question. This section included 30 questions out of which 12 were based on current affairs and 18 were on GK. The topics asked in the previous year exams are based on the following:
- Awards and winners
- Government and Politics
- Famous Personalities
XAT Essay Writing Syllabus
There is no particular syllabus or topic that can be or is prescribed for Essay Writing but according to previous years analysis and trends, the topics were of abstract nature. The topic was either a common phrase or an idiom with a philosophical innuendo in it. However, the candidates appearing for XAT must be well prepared in all sorts of topics ranging from politics, sports, entertainment, philosophy etc. The time allotted to the students for attempting Essay Writing question is 20 minutes. Therefore, candidates must have writing habit with time boundations.
Institutes Accepting XAT scores:
- Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI), Jamshedpur.
- S. P. Jain Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai.
- Institute of Management Technology – IMT, Delhi/NCR.
- Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad (MICA).
- Xavier Institute of Management Bhubaneswar, Bhubaneswar.
- T. A. Pai Management Institute, Manipal (TAPMI), Manipal .
- Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai.
- Goa Institute of Management, Goa.
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras), Chennai.
- Xavier Institute Of Management & Entrepreneurship, Bangalore.
- LIBA (Loyola Institute of Business Administration), Chennai.
- Prin. L.N. Welingkar Institute of Management, Mumbai.
- Xavier Institute of Social Service, Ranchi.
- Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR), Chennai.
- VIT Business School, Chennai .
- ICFAI UNIVERSITY, Mumbai.
- National Institute of Technology Durgapur, Durgapur.
- International School of Business & Media (ISB&M), Pune.
- Alliance University, Bangalore.
- ITM Business School, Mumbai.
- NIILM Centre for Management Studies, Delhi/NCR.
- Amity Business School, Delhi/NCR.
- Shri Dharmasthala Manjunatheshwara Institute for Management Development, Mysore.
- Amrita School of Business, Bangalore.
- SIES College of Management Studies, Mumbai.
- Institute of Public Enterprise, Hyderabad.
- AIMS, Bangalore, Bangalore.
- SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, KIIT UNIVERSITY, Bhubaneswar.
- SRM University, Chennai.
- Institute of Management Studies, Delhi/NCR.
- SCMS COCHIN School of Business, Kochi.
- Kirloskar Institute of Advanced Management Studies (KIAMS), Pune.
- SKYLINE BUSINESS SCHOOL, Delhi/NCR.
How to apply:
Step 1: XAT Registration: Visit xatonline.net.in, click ‘XAT Registration’ and fill the form.
Step 2: XAT ID and Password: Post-registration, you immediately get your unique auto-generated XAT ID and password on the registered email-ID. Verify those credentials by logging in again.
Step 3: Complete Form: Log in using your ID and password, and change the password. Once this is done, update your education details.
Step 4: Upload recent colour passport size photo (Specifications given on official website)
Step 5: Upload scanned signature (Specifications given on official website)
Step 6: Payment – Through Bank branches or Online
(a) Through Bank Branches
• Download and print XAT Pay-in-slip.
• Carry the printed XAT Pay-in-slip to the bank branch to make the payment.
• Visit the website, log in using previously generated ID & password, fill the bank transaction ID no. & date of payment and complete the form.
• Print the XAT Registration Confirmation Page.
• Affix the XAT’s copy of the pay-in-slip in the space provided on the lower half of the XAT Registration Confirmation Page – Cash Mode.
(b) Through Payment Gateway
• Make online payment using, the payment gateway vide Credit Card / Debit Card / Net Banking.
• After a successful transaction, you are redirected to the XAT Registration Confirmation Page – Online Payment Mode. Save and print a copy of this page.
Step 7: Send the XAT Registration Confirmation Page to XAT Office through Courier / Registered Post / Speed Post before the last date mentioned in the notification.
Step 8: Visit the website and download admit card in the period mentioned.
Latest posts by Ami Pandya (see all)
- Mumbai Matters News – Print And Social Media Partner - April 23, 2015
- Everything you need to know about ‘Fests.info’ our Online Media Partner! - April 23, 2015
- Awesome Study Guide For You To Score Maximum In Production And Material Management - December 1, 2014