Brand is a specific terms & includes a name, symbol, sign or design given to a product for easy identification.
According to Philip kotler, positioning “is the act of designing the company’s offer so that it occupies a distinct & valued place in the target customer’s minds”.
In order to develop or reinforce a particular image for the brand in the minds of the customer, the advertiser can adopt different positioning strategies.
The following are the different positioning strategies:
- Positioning by price & quality.
- Product case strategy.
- Positioning by user category.
- Positioning by product class.
- Positioning by cultural names/ symbols.
- Positioning by products benefits.
- Positioning by competitor.
- Positioning by price & quality:
Good quality product costs a little more the consumer selects the product at different levels of price, offering different quality & decides which price-cum-quality level is most suitable. For example: in construction industry.
- Product use strategy:
Positioning is communicated by linking the product with its use. Ex.: “paan with a hole”.
- Positioning by user category:
In this the product is associated with a user or a class of user. Famous personalities or models are use to influence the audience. Ex.: idea with abhishek bachan.
- Positioning by product class:
Some advertisers use class associations which are seen as substitutes to satisfy some specific consumers need. Ex.: Amul is marketing a box of chocolates as branded Halwa as festival gift.
- Positioning by cultural names/ symbols:
The product may be advertised by use of cultural symbol in order to differentiate the brands from the competitors. Ex.: ‘Ganga’ soap.
- Positioning by products benefits:
It can be positioned on the basis of special benefit of the product. Ex.: Maggie noodles positioned its noodles with “two minute positioning” fast to cook good to eat.
- Positioning by competitor:
Under this strategy the name of the competitors are explicitly named & compared on one or more product features. Ex.: In India, Lakme winter care lotion is positioned against old cream because it is a cold cream plus moisturiser in one.
Latest posts by Jinall Bms Classes (see all)
- Logistics Management Prelims Question Paper 2015 - October 1, 2015
- Financial Management Prelims Question Paper 2015 - October 1, 2015
- Special Studies in Finance Prelims Question Paper 2015 - October 1, 2015