Service Management is a tool through which a company can optimize inventory, reduce high service costs, optimize customer service, increase service revenue, reduces obsolescence costs and improves customer satisfaction levels.
Service management subject aims to provide an understanding and acquaints DU BMS students with decision making in planning, design, delivery, quality and scheduling of service operations even in global scale. DU BMS students are also expected to appreciate the role of service quality in emerging service economy of India in relation to international business environment.
Here we present Delhi University TYBMS Sem 5 Syllabus – Service Management:
Unit 1 – 8 lectures
- Introduction to Services
- Nature of Services
- Characteristics of Services – Intangibility, Inconsistency, Inseparability and Inventory
- Search, experience and credence attributes
- Classification of services
- Consumer versus industrial services
- Importance of services marketing
- Every business a service business
- Service as key differentiator for manufacturing industries
Unit 2 – 10 lectures
- Service marketing mix
- Introduction to the 7 Ps of service marketing mix
- Product-service continuum
- Standalone service products
- Service products bundled with tangible products
- Service life cycle
- Services distribution
- Physical evidence
Unit 3 – 12 lectures
- Matrix of service characteristics
- Challenges in operations management of services
- Aggregate capacity planning for services
- Facility location and layout for services
- Job and work design
- Safety and physical environment
- Effect of automation
- Operations standards and work measurement
- Measurement and control and improvement of quality of services
Unit 4 – 12 lectures
- Concept of a total quality service
- Dynamics of service delivery system
- Aggregate planning for services
- Scheduling for service personnel and vehicles
- Inventory management in services
- Supply chain and distribution of services
- Total productive maintenance (TPM) in services
- Case studies of exemplary professional services
- Concept of total quality (TQ) in services
- Determinants of service quality
- Components of TQ Loop
- Elements of a TQM system
- Developing service quality culture and ethics
- Trust, value, integrity and responsibility
Unit 5 – 14 lectures
- Quality policy and organization
- Service quality costs
- Design for quality
- Service quality deployment
- Q-7 and new Q-7 tools
- Assessment of customer feedback and satisfaction
- Walk through audit
- Use of scales like SERVQUAL and LODGESERVE
- Service quality gaps analysis
- Customer value analysis
- Human aspects of service quality
- Total employee involvement and empowerment
- Suggestion system
- Implementing service quality
- Complaints handling and service recovery
- Unconditional service guarantee and refunds
- Integrating service quality with environment
- Safety and supply chain
- Total service quality management systems
- Assessment, accreditation and audits.
Textbooks and References:
- Service America: Doing business in the new economy – Albrecht, K, and Zemke, R
- Service management: operating decisions – Collier, D.A.
- Services marketing – Tata McGraw Hill
- Service Management Effectiveness – Bowen, D.E., Chase, R.B., & Cummings, T.G.
- Service Management Effectiveness: Balancing Strategy, Organization and Human Resources, Operations and Marketing – Bowmen, D.E.
- Service Management and Operations – Haksever, C, Render, B, Russell, R.S., & Murdic, R.G.
- Service Management for Competitive Advantage – Fitzsimmons, J.A, & Fitzsimmons, M.
- Service Operations Management – Fitzsimmons, J.A. & Sullivan, R.S.
- Service Breakthroughs, Changing the Rules of the Game – Heskett, J.L.
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019