Boko Haram originally known as Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’Awati Wal-Jihad (which means people committed to the Prophet’s teaching for Propagation and Jihad) is a militant Islamist movement based in northeast Nigeria.
Here are 5 Shocking facts About Boko Haram.
1) The name Boko Haram actually means ‘Western Education is Frobidden’ originally meaning Western influence is sin and westernization is sacrilege.
2) Boko Haram related violence has killed more than 4000 people between 2009 and 2014 among which 2000 were killed only in the first half of 2014.
3) It was founded in 2002 by Mohammed Yusuf, a Muslim sect leader. He was killed in 2009 while in a police custody.
4) Boko Haram is a group that does not represent Islam, says many Muslim leaders. They preach that Islam is a religion of peace and tranquillity and does not accept crime and violence in any form.
4) Boko Haram kills both Muslims and Christians alike. The group has instigated attacks on both Christians and Muslims indicating that it doesn’t come under the influence of any religion.
Latest posts by Ancy (see all)
- Bruce Jenner In A Car Crash – One Person Dead - February 9, 2015
- 57th Annual Grammy Awards – Red Carpet Disasters - February 9, 2015
- Haven’t Taken An Health Insurance Yet? Here Are 5 Important Benefits Of Having An Health Coverage - February 7, 2015