Basics of Financial Services is a subject in SYBMS Sem 3 as per new revised syllabus of 2015-16. Basics of Financial services subject will consist of 60 lectures and 3 credit. The subject aims to explain the core concepts of business finance and its importance in managing the business. The objective of this subject is to develop a conceptual framework of finance function and to acquaint the participants with the tools, types, instruments of financial system in the realm of Indian financial market.
Basics of Financial Services subject has 4 main units which are as follows:
Unit 1 – Financial System (14 lectures)
Unit 2 – Commercial Banks, RBI and Development Banks (16 lectures)
Unit 3 – Insurance (15 lectures)
Unit 4 – Mutual Funds (15 lectures)
The topics covered in each unit are as follows:
Unit 1 – Financial System
An overview of Financial System,
Structure of Financial Market (Organised and Unorganized Market),
Components of Financial System,
Major Financial Intermediaries,
Function of Financial System,
Regulatory Framework of Indian
Financial System (Overview of SEBI and RBI-Role and Importance as regulators).
Unit 2 – Commercial Banks, RBI and Development Banks
Concept of Commercial Banks-
Investment Policy of Commercial Banks,
Liquidity in Banks,
Asset Structure of Commercial Banks,
Interest Rate reforms,
Capital Adequacy Norms.
Reserve Bank of India–
Organisation & Management,
Role And Functions,
Characteristics of Development Banks,
Need And Emergence of Development Financial Institutions In India,
Function of Development Banks.
Unit 3 – Insurance
Basic Characteristics of Insurance,
Insurance Company Operations,
Principles of Insurance,
Purpose And Need Of Insurance,
Different Kinds of Life Insurance Products,
Basic Idea About Fire And Marine Insurance and Bancassurance
Unit 4 – Mutual Funds
Concept of Mutual Funds,
Growth of Mutual Funds in India,
Features and Importance of Mutual Fund.
Mutual Fund Schemes,
Money Market Mutual Funds,
Private Sector Mutual Funds,
Evaluation of the Performance Of Mutual Funds,
Functioning of Mutual Funds In India.
- Khan M.Y., Indian Financial System, Tata McGrew Hill Publishing Company
- Varshney P.N. & Mittal MN, Financial System, Sultan Chand & Co
- A. Avadhani , Marketing of Financial Services-
- Bhole L. M: Financial Markets and Institutions; Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, New Delhi.
- Chandra Prasanna: Financial Management: Theory and Practice; Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi.
- Gupta Suraj B: Monetary Economics; S. Chand and Co., New Delhi
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019