Objectives Of Marketing Information System
Marketing information system is a scientific method of collecting information, arranging them in order and reporting to suit and feed the organization with information.
1. To gather data and information needed by the organization
2. To supply and maintain the flow of information periodically and continuously.
3. To provide pertinent and relevant data needed by the executives.
Hence Marketing Information System must provide:
1. Desired Information to the Executives: This is possible only by assessing the actual needs of the executive. Analysis of each executive’s decision-making responsibilities should clarify his or her marketing information requirements; thereby identifying the information outputs that the marketing information system should provide him or her. The composite of the marketing information requirements for entire organization thus identifies the variety and nature of specific information output that the marketing information system should provide.’
2. Supply Needed Information: It is not dumping information that is not needed or irrelevant. It is to supply needed information ‘Each executive wants complete and accurate information received on a timely basis yet not provided (routinely) in overwhelmingly and confusingly large quantities. It is ironic that while organizations generate increasingly massive volumes of data, many executives continue to voice complaints that available information is too incomplete and not sufficiently relevant or timely to use as a basis for marketing decisions. The marketing information system should have the built-in capability of extracting from the data bank timely items of information relevant for each executive’s use in decision-making.