Guidelines for effective positioning:
Ries and Trout have distilled the essence of positioning into the following four GUIDELINES /
1. A company must establish a positioning in the minds of its targeted customers.
2. The position should be singular, providing one simple and consistent message.
3. The position must set a company apart form its competitors
4. A company cannot be all things to all people –it must focus its efforts.
The principles, which are discussed above, are applicable to any type of organization that competes for customers like National postal services compete with private courier companies; public and nonprofit hospitals compete with each other and with private health care providers etc. for all the organizations, understanding the concept of positioning is the key to developing an effective competitive posture. I hope this is clear to you that the concept is certainly not limited to services, but its origins was in packaged goods marketing-but it offers valuable insights by forcing service managers to analyse their firm‘s existing offerings.
Just suppose any XYZ Soap Company says that their soap has fragrance, is antiseptic, has moisturizer will make you fair and is not expensive, you as a customer come across with such a company, them what will be your reaction. How will you position such soap in your mind, with so many other brands already there in the market? Don‘t you think, it is a difficult task for you to position such a company in your mind as they are trying to position themselves on to different attributes, which are mostly found in different soaps? The problem is with the company as they are trying to increase the number of claims for their brand; which will lead to risk of disbelief and a loss of clear positioning.
Latest posts by BMS Team (see all)
- Meterdown Annual Festival is back with its 7th edition – Starts today! - January 16, 2020
- Tybms sem 6 results 2019 declared on 19th June 2019 - June 19, 2019
- TYBMS Sem 6 Results 2019 Update from BMS khabri! - June 15, 2019